Monday, October 17, 2011

Proof that KIAs are durable

There is nothing like jumping out of bed at 5 am upon hearing a loud BOOM. Andrew does not wake up easily or fast, but on this occasion I think he beat me out of bed. We both yelled "What was that?" We looked out the window, but spotted nothing suspicious - just a car driving away from our house and a lady standing on the sidewalk talking on her phone.
Next we checked the kids, made a swift run around the house, checking every door and window. No plausible BOOM causes were found.

I headed back to bed, but Andrew would not let it rest and dressed to go outside. When he did not return I threw my bathrobe on (it was freezing!) and headed downstairs. Yeah! The wall between our and neighbor's garage did not look right and it was clear that it just got driven into. The decorative rocks were busted, the wall itself was arching towards the street and stucco all around was cracked. Oh and on top it all the neighbors' garage door was pushed in and functional no more! While we (Andrew, I, the hit neighbors and the next door neighbors) were admiring the results of someone's night escapades we heard footsteps (dund-dund-dund!).

Ashley was coming! At least that's how the girl introduced herself. "It was my sister! I am sorry! I am Ashley! She also hit my garage! Don't worry about it folks, I'll take the blame! It was my insurance and the car!" "Was she intoxicated?" "Yeah!" That's when the cops arrived. The mysterious Ashley yelled "It was me! Over here!" and headed over yonder to explain herself to the law enforcement.

The neighborhood consilium huddled together to discus the "sister" piece of information to decide whether the police ought to be enlightened about the possibly another perpetrator. We decided that heck yeah! D.U.I and hit a wall today, D.U.I. and cause a funeral tomorrow. No covering up for dumb drunken drivers! So we stood there and watched from afar the gal talking to the cop and waited for him to come over to us.

He came over, looked at the damages and we had a chance to spill the beans. "Why would she do that?" was his question. At that point the interview was over and he headed back. It all ended by him handcuffing our new acquaintance. Apparently our fervent sister protector was twice over alcohol limit. Was indeed the wall hater and hitter and lied to us, probably to make us not hate her for getting us out of beds at the crack of dawn, knowing that our church meetings start at 8:30 am. Another cop searched her house and found no other people inside. Her garage had no visible hit-and-run traces, by the way.

Ashley was whisked away by the night patrol car (one of the three for Pleasant Grove apparently). Another cop stayed behind to supervise towing of the Ashleymobile (aka battering ram) which turned out to be KIA. Seeing the damages to our wall and assuming that stone we'll beat metal anytime (or more like plastic if it's a car from the last decade) we stood there feeling vindicated. Ashleymobile must have been slapped in the face. When I saw her KIA, my jaw dropped. A little dent and a few scratches on the bumper was all our wall caused! Now that was unfair! On the other hand-People I can tell you now, that KIAs are good cars, fearing neither drunk drivers, nor the walls that they come across.

PS: Ashley almost got away with driving drunk that night, but our valiant wall stood in her path and provided cops with another D.U.I. suspect mugshot! Go wall!

PPS: Andrew got to provide an official witness statement! Go Andrew!

Ta ta for now!

1 comment:

Kent and Wendy said...

Hey - that sounded pretty exciting! Just what you wanted on a Sunday morning, huh?

Are you guys coming up to Idaho for Thanksgiving? If so, let me know. We are planning a get to gether with the Mortensen's.