Tuesday, March 29, 2011

23 February

I know, it is mid April, but better late than never.

While I was growing up it was a tradition in my family to celebrate 23 February-the Red Army day as this was the day it was formed in 1923. Every male was required to serve and my Dad was a reserve officer in a tank division, plus my paternal grandma was a battle front nurse and grandpa was a partisan in WWII. On that day there usually were parades and as a kid I loved them. Anyhow, never in my life would I guess in my childhood than n-years later I would become a US citizen on February 23 (ha).

It was definitely an interesting day, off course it did not go as expected (he he). I was sworn in along with almost 300 other dudes and dudettes from almost 50 different countries at Rose Wagner Theater in Salt lake. By the way, did you know that swearing in ceremony is actually a judicial proceeding? So a person from Judicial office was conducting and presiding. I have to say that it was a first time before a judge for me. It was rather strange saying the Pledge of Allegiance for the first time, especially before saying the Oath (which is done as a group and not individually, otherwise we would've been there for the entire day).

You know, now at least one of the dilemmas in my life is gone. I remember many times walking through BUY campus at the time when the flag at the Brigham square would be lowered at dusk and the anthem was played. At that moment every single person nearby would stop, put hands on hearts and stand still. I usually just stood, but wondered if those around me wondered why I was such an unpatriotic American, ha ha.

Oh, funny moment...well, funny now, but not than. At the start, the speaking lady asked everyone to turn off their phones. I figured mine is on vibrate so no need to bother. So guess whose phone began ringing just as the Pledge of Allegiance was being spoken? Oh my gosh! I wanted to just crawl under my seat and not come up till the end of the ceremony. I began looking for it in my purse and surely it became even louder as I got closer to it. Bah! Was that embarrassing! Oh, by the way, if you must know who called- it was my Dad buzzing to congratulate me, ha ha.

Unfortunately Andrew had to leave the ceremony after the anthem was sung as Miss Erin threw a major fit. He had to leave because it looked like the usher lady was just going to throw him, Pooky and Danny out. So they spend the rest of the hour in the car in the parking lot. Both Erin and Danny screamed and Andrew fumed.

After the ceremony I received my Naturalization certificate and went to search for my gang. I finally called Andrew and discovered to my surprise that they all were in the car. I was slightly bombed that Andrew missed the event, but oh well. It is done! We are done filling out tons of forms, driving to Taylorsville for fingerprinting, getting cashier checks to pay INS (the most bothersome part, ha ha) and supplying bank statements, lease contracts, medical records and whatever else would proof that we are really married.

To celebrate the end of this journey aunt Theresa hosted a party! That was so sweet and kind! The theme was red , white and blue starting with decorations and ending with the menu (hot dogs and apple pie including , of course). Theresa is amazing and always so thoughtful! She even prepared me a present, a puzzle (Oh, do I love puzzles! the bigger-the better! ).

I know America is not perfect, nor are the streets paved with gold, but here my voice can be heard and respected. I can practice my religion and speak my mind. I can be successful because of who I am and not whom I bribe. I can find justice and be treated as equal to any other person. I'd say that this is a pretty good foundation for happiness and dreaming!


1 comment: