Friday, November 19, 2010

Halloween

Both Andrew and Erin dressed up this year. This is how Andrew went to work the Friday before the Halloween. It is too bad he did not win the costume contest at work , cause the annoyance of that black makeup all over his face ought to have been rewarded in my opinion, he he. By the way, according to the costume package my husband dressed as an Emperor of Evil.

Even though Andrew was tempted to dress my sweet child as a side kick to the Emperor of Evil, Erin chose a pirate costume. This is where you say: " But, Sveta, this clearly does not look like a pirate! Unless that pirate is wearing a tiger camouflage for some bizarre reason." After Erin chose to be a pirate, she changed her mind in favor of a Cat in the Hat getup. After which she grabbed of the shelf a tiger suit costume and would not let go of it. So, hence a tiger. However, Erin is tall and I mean TALL. Her average age group size costumes just don't fit. Which is by no means a tragedy, taking in the account that the store made Halloween costume manufacturers find the cheapest, flimsiest fabric existing, slap it together, shove it in a bag , print a label with a better looking version of the costume and ask for my arm as a form of payment. What you see down bellow is a deluxe homemade tiger suit with the price tag of 10 buckos and 2 days of my time in lovely tiger print thick fabric ( also can pass a s a zebra) suitable to be worn in any kind of weather. The tail attaches with velcro for car riding convenience.
As you might have noticed Halloween was on Sunday this year. Which means we went trick-or-treating on Saturday. The entire day it looked like it might rain and it began to pour at 4 p.m- the prime candy begging time. Bah! So we went to the mall , which turned out to be a nightmare. It would be an understatement to say that the place was crowded. The sardines in a can have more wiggle room than poor little tigers, butterflies, princesses, skeletons etc. had that day sandwiched between the big people. The crowd circulated in an orderly line through the hallways stopping by very FEW stores handing candy out (Now that was a shocker! The mall advertises trick-or-treating every year, but there were so few stores participating and Build a Bear even had an audacity to give out fliers instead of candy, he he.) Andrew grabbed Erin and raced around to collect what could be collected ( I love this dude!). Danny and I followed in a stroller trying not to run people over in this mad dash. We are not doing the mall ever again. EVER!
We were done in about 45 minutes and it stopped raining so we decided to go knocking on doors. The problem was that mama in a hurry did not grab a jacket for the tiger and the Emperor of Evil. Going back home was too far as we planned to hit aunt Theresa's neighbourhoods. So I phoned and arranged for a loaner jacket ( Thanks Christine!) for the Tiger. The Emperor of Evil had to man up and pretend it was warm.
Erin was adorable and super excited. Andrew coached her a little, but at some doors she would tell him to stand on the sidewalk, he he. She was also polite wishing Happy Halloween at every door. Danny and I followed in the stroller. He napped! We all had so much fun. I don't know why, but I love Halloween. It is just a fun day!
Off course we made our annual pilgrimage to the Cornbelly's at Thanksgiving point. It was a neat afternoon, though it was too bad we got there late and it started getting dark pretty soon. We stayed for a couple of hours. We did not go into the maze this year, but I don't believe anyone was too disappointed on that account.
Erin raced a pig. She was selected as one of three volunteers because Andrew held her up high while madly waving her arms. The dude in the overalls promptly noticed their enthusiasm. Too bad that our pig did not win. The prize for that would have been a pig's snout that I do not doubt Erin would put it to a good use. Our loot was a spider ring.

Some photos in a princessy pumpkin carriage and on a horse puling it.


What a cutie!

I love Danny's expression in this one.


Danny and I decided against climbing into the giant chair this year as he was strapped into the front carrier on me.


We did a hay ride, a wagon ride, went through a blow up dragon (That freaked Erin out a little bit, or at least she tried to take every emergency exit we passed to get out of there), Erin jumped in the bouncy house and played in play houses (that was her favorite), we watched a chicken show, and roamed through a kiddie maze.

No photos of this year's pumpkins as they shriveled and began looking like toothless mouths before I got around to taking their photo. I'll be more prompt next time around. Erin ended up with a flower and polka dot design, Danny had a boat, waves, the sun, clouds and seagulls on his and I had a traditional face. Andrew did not get to his pumpkin on time. I hollowed it for him, but it went bad before he had time or a desire to carve it.

Note to self: do not let hollowed out pumpkins sit around the house, especially on the dinning table. Cleaning goo and yuckies is no fun.

Danny is waking up so ta ta for now!

No comments: