Sunday, October 10, 2010

10/10/10

I had to write down today's date this afternoon and it occurred to me that today is 10/10/10- a special date and a special day. Today Danny-boy received his name and a blessing during the sacrament. Papa gave the blessing and uncle Gibb, Burke and the bishop stood in the circle with him. He (that is Danny, not papa) did not cry and was awake. Though I do not entirely remember what was said I remember that the words were beautiful and sweet.

Andrew blessed Daniel to be surrounded by good examples in life and be a good example to others, be a worthy Priesthood holder and use it to serve those around, listen to Heavenly Father's council and follow it. I know that my baby is going and has already touched so many lives for good. Our little monkey is nothing but joy to us. Everywhere he goes he puts smiles even on gloomiest of faces. I feel so blessed to be his mama (even when I wake up at 5 am with an awful crick in my neck after having fallen asleep in the rocker while holding him).

We did not have that many people to invite to the blessing and I was a little bit sad seeing so few standing by Andrew after seeing stampedes of male relatives coming to bless other babies every fast Sunday. I envy it sometimes. I wish we could have parents, siblings, cousins, aunts and uncles galore in the area for just such occasions, though than I would most likely not appreciate having all those relations as much. Isn't it ironic that to greatly appreciate something you've got to experience the lack of it? My almost entire family resides on another continent and Andrew's in other states.

But I am so blessed to have my non-blood relations, uncle Gibb and aunt Theresa. They have accepted me as their own so many years ago and have since been there for me. I will always treasure their friendship and love. And I am grateful for Burke, who has long ago earned a title of My Missionary (a term mostly understood and known by LDS converts) and friend.

So it does not matter whether you are surrounded by a huge or small family as long as you are surrounded by those whom you love.

No comments: