Sunday, April 11, 2010

What a glorious week it was, he he.

On Easter Sunday Erin got to go on an Easter egg hunt. We had to hunt inside as we woke up to 2 inches of snow. I do not recall seeing snow on Easter in this last 10 years, by the way. Andrew did an excellent job concealing all the plastic eggs around the house and a few on the porch and in the back yard. I am glad he did it 'cause I would have put them all in super obvious places, but papa had more faith in Erin so he made her look hard. It was amazing how the kid has a chocolate radar in her brain. Even those well hidden were discovered by her. We made a video of the Easter fun, but had to cut it short as the battery began to die. I will post it as soon as Andrew get's around figuring out how to compress it.

Erin was as excited as can be searching the house for eggs and adding more to her bag. You can only imagine her "sore throat voice" beaming with happiness and joy. By the way all the eggs were labeled with our initials. I hoped that Erin would collect all the eggs and than we'll sit down and have her separate the loot into three piles. Naive me! After the hunt was over we explained that the bunny brought some eggs for mama, papa and Erin and that now was the time to divide everything. Pook found one egg with "S" and one with "A" and told us that was it! The rest were for her. Parental lesson: what makes into kids Halloween or Easter container does not come out! Or in the other words, finders keepers-losers whippers. We ended up gutting the eggs and putting all the chocolates in one pile anyhow. The candy was kept safe from Erin (but not so safe from mama) on top of the fridge and fortunately it is all eaten by now.

By the way this Easter was a General Conference weekend and this made our Easter celebration perfect. What is the better way to remember Christ's atonement and resurrection than being reminded of it the entire weekend.

We completed the day with the dinner at aunt Theresa's. As always food was delicious and the company excellent. When we came home Erin had a super tantrum and I do not even remember for what reason. She went into "Tasmanian devil" mode as I call it. Eventually, I ended up sitting in the hallway with my little Pook on my lap sobbing and refusing to say "I am sorry". Eventually she just drifted off into sleep. I do not remember when was the last time she actually fell asleep in my arms, probably when she knocked her teeth in more than a year ago. I did not want to move to put her in bed. I was savoring the moment as this could be the last time my baby slept in my arms. She is getting too big and is never interested in that anyways. One of the fascinating things about life is how something ordinary what we are used to happens for the last time and we have no idea that this is the last time...

Anyhow, Monday came. Erin was not getting any better, but colds come and go and are a part of any childhood. Poor little Erin's nose was sick and tiered of being wiped and she herself was sick of me following her around the entire day asking if she needed to blow. By the end of the day she wanted to have nothing to do with me and just used her sleeves and hands to tame the snot coming out ( I know, gross!) By the way, did you know that the ancient Egyptians thought that mucus coming out of your nose was nothing other than your own brain leaking out. Silly them!

Tuesday...Pook was sick as a dog. All she wanted to do was lay in mama's and papa's bed and watch Curious George back to back to back. She refused food and drink. Most of the time she slept and whimpered in between. I was getting worried. Her nose was not doing any better, plus she felt super warm, though she fought my every attempt to take her temperature. I also noticed that she was tugging on her ear. I remembered reading somewhere a couple years ago that that was an ear infection sign. I made an appointment with her pediatrician and off we went. Better safe than sorry as they say, I am willing to pay a co-pay to make sure this is just a cold. It turned out to be a full blown left ear infection. Her fever was 103 and even the doc said she looked miserable. It was her first ear infection. We got her Amoxicillin prescription and of we went. What a relief it is when the issue can be easily fixed. I wish this was always the case...

The next day after just one dose Erin was herself again. No fever, tons of energy, some sort of appetite, following mama as a tail and getting in trouble as usual. The only problem was taking her medicine. Erin would not voluntarily do that even though her pink stuff even smelled and tasted good. What else do yo need, kiddo? It tastes like candy. Grrrr! So what do we do? We lace her drinks with it and than we follow her around the house telling her to finish her juice or coco. She must think that both Andrew and I are nuts. We have never forced her finish her food and now all she hears is : "Chug it down! Drink your juice or papa will drink it (that one works)! One more sip! You are almost done!" and etc. We finally figured out what to mix it in to make her just drink it in one sip-SODA, the forbidden drink.

Erin was so sad today because she could not go to church. She coughs like a smoker and would get every kid in the nursery infected, which is rude (yes, you! this is a hint to keep your kid at home if he/she is infectious:). Andrew stayed home with her, plus he was on call this entire weekend. Of course, when others in his department are on call no one bothers them. Andrew had three phone calls starting at 6 am on Saturday and had to work a good chunk of the day. Poor dude! As you can imagine the same happened on Sunday. Grrr! Now he gets an extra day off at least. We just can never plan anything for those on call weekends, but hey, I am not complaining, I am just whining, he he. We are super happy with his job!

Ah, the toddler bed. Tell me, how is it possible for a 2-year-old, who refuses a nap during the day, to stay awake even after 10 pm. Pook has a talent for stalling-another book, fix my blankey, where is my binkey, did you get my bunny, where is the piggy bank, I need a drink, here is my empty cup. We were already in bed, and all of a sudden I hear Erin's door creak, than pitter-patter, pitter-patter, than our door creaks and Erin appears (Surprise!). She makes it for my side of the bed saying "Blow!" meaning blow my nose even though I haven't let you do that since the beginning of the week. That same episode repeated another 4 or 5 times. Every time I got up to get some toilet paper and oblige her nose and than walk her back to her room and tuck her in. Grrrrrr! Finally when she appeared again I told her to go get her paper herself, which she did IN THE DARK! In the morning it looked like a wild cat had attacked the toilet paper roll, he he. Anyhow. I made her get her paper and told her to go tuck herself in herself. She finally went to sleep.

Erin is developing a relationship with her little brother. She puts her mouth on my belly and blows finding it very hilarious. One day that kid is going to kick her in the mouth, he he. He moves a lot and hiccups all the time. At this point it is still amusing to me. We have less than a half of pregnancy to go. We can't wait to meet him.

No comments: