Saturday, October 31, 2009

Here comes Elmo!

Erin had her first trick or treating experience. Though first I had to battle her over wearing her gettup. Even threats of never making her another Halloween costume did not work. Our Elmo decided that it was a game of "don't allow mama dress you in red fuzzy body suit". Eventually I promised her that she'll get her favorite fruit snacks. That appeared to be more effective than threats and indeed she got some. We trick or treated in Orem in aunt Theresa's neighbourhood. It was fun! Erin was not sure what we were going to do and refused to say "trick or treat" and "thank you". She actually acted shy! Despite that she caught on rather fast that she was there to get candy and for some reason people on the other side of the door were going to give it to her. The only time when Erin talked much was in between houses or if no one was coming to open the door after she knocked. She would say "Open door!", knock and say "Treat!". When someone would open the door she just looked at them and their candy, but uttered nothing. Ha ha! Sometimes she would reach for the candy and sometimes just open her bag hinting that she wants the person to put something in it. She was adorable and so many fellow trick or treators, but mostly their parents called out "Look! Elmo! She is so cute!" Amazingly enough it was rather warm and Erin did not even need a coat. This is a photo taken after we returned home. We had to cut our fun short because we had a baby sitter coming at 7, though the 50 minutes we spent in the streets seemed to be enough for our babe. She was ready to get in the car and survey the content of her bag. She pulled out a lolly pop and gave it to me. My first thought was "Oh, how sweet! Erin is sharing with me!", but no! She just wanted me to get it out of the packaging.

We left Erin at home and went on a date to an arcade and a super late dinner at Sizzler (not that many restaurant options out there at 9 p.m.).

Today I finally admitted to myself that Erin is below the average in her speech development. I blame that on using two languages in the home. As any other mom I want my child to be ahead in everything and I don't like when she is not. Part of it is concern for her and part is a fear that I kinda failed at something. This must be the reason why quite a few parents drop the idea of raising their child bilingual when they compare their kids to others. You want to see your child excel and if they don't, you readjust. I am tempted to switch exclusively to English, but I will not. I will look forward to the future when Erin can be fluent in both English and Russian. I don't think I will press her to learn writing in Russian, but my goal for Erin is at least speaking and reading fluently.

My grandma turned 90 years old on the 20th of October! She actually might be a month or two older. Her parents could not spare time from the farm at the time of her birth to make the trip to town to register her with the civil authorities. Erin tried to wish her a happy B-day in her own way!

PS: Erin appears to replace "T" sound with "F". So, please, don't think that we teach our child foul language when you hear her yell "truck".

3 comments:

Diane said...

Did you make the Elmo costume yourself? It's pretty impressive.

Also, I'm sure your folks are very pleased that you'll keep teaching Erin Russian. She'll catch up with everyone else, and very possibly surpass them! Keep up the good work!

BurkeAndEmily said...

Love the Elmo costume!!!

We have a friend who is also raising her children bilingual English/Russian. They got so worried about their three year old that they had an appointment scheduled with a speech therapist. Their boy hadn't said anything except about 5 words. As soon as the speech therapist arrived though, he burst out in a complete sentence of words they'd never heard him say. Apparently it is very common like you said for the bilingual kids to not speak much for a long time, then suddenly have tons of words. We've worked with therapists in the hospital and they said as long as you are sure the hearing is fine, then delayed speech doesn't mean much. Einstein didn't speak a single word until he was 3.

Sveta said...

Thanks for the costume comment. It was ctually rather easy to make (after I was done battling the red fuzz covering the entire house).
And thank you for the language comment. If Einstein made it, than we are fine :).