Thursday, July 2, 2009

Birthday photos

We had a little celebration for Erin's birthday. We had uncle Gibb and aunt Theresa over, and for dinner I made an Elmo cake and Texas hats (chili on top of corn chips topped with lettuce, cheese and olives. Yummy!). I tried to make something Erin would actually eat and chili used to be one of the few menu items she enjoyed.

Here is us with the Elmo cake. Though only its tiniest corner was visible from Erin's height ( I got on the floor to make sure I hid it well) Erin spotted it on the counter where I tried to conceal it. Somehow she knew it was a cake. She must have a cake radar inside her head. She would not stop saying "Cake, Cake!" while pointing at it until I lifted her up to show what it was. She liked what she saw! So...where do you put the candles if your cake is a face? Andrew decided to stick them in Elmo's eyes. Bad idea! Erin though Papa was hurting Elmo and tried to set him on fire! That brought tears and deep concern for Elmo's well being! We sang the song and put out the candles. It was decided not to cut Elmo as that could traumatize Erin's gentle heart. It was a lesson to me not to make face cakes in future until everyone involved in eating it is aware that it's just a cake! For dessert we ended up having root beer floats! Pooky had no problem with that. She was so excited that the Dyers could come. She showed her balloons (both whole and popped ones), made them read her books and just hung on them. After dinner Erin got to open her presents. Technically, I was openning all of them, but she got what was inside. Erin's earthly possessions increased by a number of new dresses, a shirt, a jacket, a baby doll, a blanket and a tricycle. She also has a sand box coming in mail. It was a fun birthday!

1 comment:

BurkeAndEmily said...

Okay, that is the funniest thing I've seen in a long time! Burke and I laughed out loud. How sweet that she didn't want you burning Elmo's eyes out. That really was hilarious.