On Tuesday , around 7:30 pm our little man slipped and fell in the bathroom hitting his face on the toilet in the process. One of his front teeth got broken. Poor Danny cried, screamed and bled. We realized that his top right tooth did not look right and after he somewhat calmed down, called his dentist Dr. Howell, who I might add is awesome! At 8:25 Danny was laying on my lap with the doc looking at my boy's little toothie. It was broken, all right. The chomper split in half and had to be pulled. Luckily no damage to his permanent teeth was done. After collecting a prescription for Amoxicillin and being promised a phone call about the tooth extraction the next day we left.
Our little trooper behaved very stoically allowing the tooth examination, though when it came to X-rays he began to voice his objection. If there is any silver lining to this story than it is that to Danny the pain was bearable. For the next few days he resumed his normal activities though had to go without his favorite crackers and kakao. Only soft mushy foods were to enter his mouth and by that we abode. Erin agreed to conceal any candy in her procession. I must add that Erin screamed more than her brother when the injury occurred. Oh how did she cry and even came close to hyperventilating seeing Danny in pain. She tried her best to do her part in aiding us to get Danny to the doctor's office fast. She was first in the car trying to comfort her poor Danny after he got buckled up.
The next day after not hearing from the dentist's office I buzzed to see what was up with the arrangements for the detoothing. I was informed that he was scheduled for the 14th of September. Polite and dumbfounded I hung up and called Andrew. He told me to call back and talk to Dr. Howell 'cause this was too long. That I did not argue with and would have called as soon as the shock of the proposed "two-week-wait-to-get-rid-of-a-very-broken-tooth" would settle in. Anyhow after clearing the confusion Danny was scheduled to appear at the Utah Valley Medical Center (he had to be fully sedated for the event) on Friday at 12. No food after midnight and no liquids after 9. Now that was going to be interesting, but I would definitely rather put up with a cranky screaming toddler than with him ingesting his vomit. So fast my Danny did. He did great!
After he got up, he took a bath, then we went over to play with his friend Adam and then Caylee. We made it to the time we had to get Erin from school, and headed out. At that point Danny began begging for a yogurt, not expecting a denial. Now that was hard....But at least I was denying food not because I had none to give (just a thought).
We picked Erin up, delivered her to my awesome neighbor and friend Nathalie and headed to the hospital picking up Andrew on the way. So glad our Daddy could come! It made all the difference.
After getting admitted our wait began and lasted till three. This delay was expected 'cause everyone knows that hospital time is a few hours off. First we waited for and OR and next for our anesthesiologist to become available. Danny was not very enthusiastic about the place. At first he was curious, but when it came to vitals, getting the hospital jammies on and sitting on the hospital bed Danny began to wail. Then we just watched PBS kids. Fortunately Sesamie Street came on and as long as I held him Danny was somewhat content. I have to say that starving Danny is fairly docile. He weakly attempted asking for crackers and finally gave up. After my boy's last request his eyes filled with tears and bottom lip began to quiver. Gosh it was awful! We tried to kill time by walking outside in circles and finally it was Danny's time to go. Dr. Howell came, the nurse came and Chris-the anesthesiologist (with a monkey name tag clip). Danny did not like any of them, particularly the monkey clip guy and the way he addressed him as "Master Daniel" (I liked him though. To tell the truth the monkey clip did it for me, plus the fact that he has been knocking little people out for over a decade). Danny was given his sleepy meds and carried away. Did not like that! All we could do was wait or wait and eat.
I have been fasting along with Danny, Andrew was pretty starved as well, so we went to the cafeteria. I might add that earlier our nurse brought us three food coupons as a small compensation for extra waiting. Assuming that hospitals are a lot like airlines we intended to blow our newly found wealth on our meal and hope it will be enough. As it turns out hospitals are way more generous (but also expensive) than Delta or United. Each coupon was worth twenty-five buckaroos. So while our Danny was loosing his tooth Andrew and I feasted on grilled chicken sandwiches and other hospital delicacies, ha ha.
We made it back on time to speak with Dr. Howell who assured as that everything went great. the tooth came out clean and without much fighting. Danny was being woken up and should soon be returned to our care. That eventually did happen and we could not have been happier to be reunited. Danny was grumpy and groggy, but you can't blame him for that. He was offered some juice and Popsicle, which he wolfed down in record time. I think if some brave soul would attempt taking his treats from him he would bite them.
When we were leaving Danny's Popsicle leftovers fell on the floor and he cried harder than when his tooth was hurt, fortunately more of the icy goodness has been rushed to him and the tears seized. Then we headed home, where Danny boy gobbled down two bowls of chicken soup, a yogurt, a bowl of apple sauce and a tall glass of milk. The rest of the day was spent trying to catch up on playing with friends and finally sleeping. He had no side affects from anesthesia and when the dentist called late that night I could report that all was well.
And indeed all is well!
PS: Through this incident our boy acquired an adorable lisp. Without his "footh" he says "fifi" instead of "fishy".
PS: Andrew and I are cheap so for the next couple dates we are having our date night dinners in the hospital cafeteria.
PS: If you are not deterred by gruesome images than here is Danny's tooth in two pieces.



No comments:
Post a Comment