However, I am blogging again and have posted a few entries from last year and a couple from this one that have been in a draft stage for the longest time. If you have absolutely nothing better to do, than please go ahead and browse 2011 entries, there are a few new ones. I am currently finishing up our Christmas report and last October Disneyland trip (I know, this is pathetic, ha ha).
There are a few news and episodes I can think of worth sharing at the moment though. Number one is that we got Erin into a charter school. She will start Kindergarten in Aristotle Academy, which is a brand new charter in American Fork, just a 5-minute-ride from home. It feels like a good match for Pooky, but we will see how it goes. It will either be a flop or a great place. We are giving it a try. Kindergarten will have just 15 kids in class (that is vs. 35+ in our district elementary school).
Erin is very excited to start school! She even got to sign her name on the school application :). By the way she is starting to read simple words and can write all of her letters. So proud of her! Here is a proof.
I just love the scowl on her face. Isn't it inviting, ha ha! Lately, she's been making mostly funny faces while posing. This is an invitation to her best friends that reads " Erin. Come here later to play the planet game". I helped with spelling, of course. Here is Erin writing her name.
Erin fit on the paper just fine, but she put her S (for Sophia) in the middle of the page and decided to go from right to left. She figured it will be easier to fit it that way. I thought it was pretty funny.
Her other accomplishments are quoting Cat in the Hat pretty far into the poem, causing all sorts of mischief, and making great mud pies.
So about mischief.... I had my first brush with the law. And it was my fault, I will confess from the start and here is the story. Erin and her best friend Aliyah were playing in our backyard when they got bored. I was distracted, so I did not notice that those two made their way down the little hill behind the house onto the sidewalk adjacent to the road. When I went to check on them I discovered them on that sidewalk. I gave them a "you are not supposed to be there, get back there now or else" talk, they told me they will not play there anymore and go get Aliyah's bike and ride it instead. Off they went to fetch the bike. I went upstairs. Next thing I know, someone is ringing the door bell. Assuming it was Erin I opened and looked down expecting to see her. All I saw was a pair of two black boots, I looked up and was shocked to discover a cop.
"Are you Erin's mom?"
"Yeeeees..."
"We have received several complaints that she and her friend have been running across the street"
I am not sure when they managed to do that, but somehow they did while I was not looking. As I thought about it later, there was an unknown Suburban parked right across from my back door and some lady was looking at the kids and talking on the phone at the same time. Really? What happened to the days when you tell the kids not to do that and tell their parents? Wow, instead you call cops. I imagine that you've got to be cautious out there now days, and that there are some parents that might stick a shank between your ribs for being pointed out that their offspring was in the road, but I hope I do not look the part (or do I?). I know that that lady saw me. Anyhow, he ran my ID, handed me my child and departed. I bet the lady spent next few weeks telling everyone who would listen how she saved innocent child from a neglectful mother. I was neglectful though.
I felt terrible about the whole situation. This teaches me that bored kids do exactly what they are taught not to do. I had a talk with Erin about this unusual for her move and got two reasons for why they crossed the road. One was that they were pretending that the other side of the road was the Moon ( from Little Planet game, if you know what that is) and the other one was that they were doing service project collecting garbage (facepalm here). Anyhow, one time for her seems to have been enough, and she's been keeping to the assigned boundaries. When will the dang fence be finally built?
Here is my hooligan!
We've been dealing with some violent tantrums by Miss Erin, though I do not want to talk about them in detail. Even thinking about them makes me exhausted, not to mention dealing with them a few times a week. Erin is a very stubborn little girl, too opinionated for her age, and frequently I feel like I am talking to a sixteen-year-old. I am crossing my fingers here that she will get it all out of her system and turn into a lamb. Until it happens I will keep the fight (though if this goes on for much longer I will consider investing into a football helmet to protect my head when things start flying).
At the same time this little girl is so sweet and lovely. Last week we went grocery shopping and she saw watermelons on sale (and they actually looked ripe and appetizing). This kid loves watermelons! She even hopes for one from the tooth fairy when her first baby tooth comes out (tooth fairy will oblige, by the way). Of course she asked for one (first water melon this season) and I agreed. We chose a good sounding one. You should have seen jubilation in this girl's eyes. "You are the best Mom in the world!!! May I give you a kiss and a hug?" she yelled startling every single soul in the produce department. I have to admit that my ego basked in the rays of adoration in public (especially after the police incident, ha ha). I enjoyed every smile tossed our way from fellow shoppers.
Erin and I went on a spontaneous mother-daughter date on Saturday. We got haircuts, ate lunch at Costa Vida, went shoe shopping and visited Yogurt Bliss. I loved every minute of it. Of course Erin proclaimed that the girl team had a great time! Erin started referring to us as a "girl team" and Andrew and Danny - a "boy team". I think it is cute. Next time we'll hit a nail salon....maybe. I love having a daughter! (and a son of course, but you know what I mean). At Payless Shoes my little rascal planted a kiss on every mirror in sight. Now that was gross! When not busy by smooching mirrors she helped me shop. I have to say our tastes are rather different. She is more of a sparkly shoes girl. She thought that some shiny sandals would look great at the play ground. I begged to differ and walked away with a pair of teal sandals. Eventually we went home.
This entire post is all about Erin. The second part of catching up will be about Danny. So tune in tomorrow for that.
Ta ta for now!
No comments:
Post a Comment