Wednesday, May 25, 2011

May rambling

I am just going to pile up all of the May updates into this post.

We opened the gardening season. I took two plots, but because of the rain haven't had a chance to plant anything. This year I am not using a spade to dig. No way Jose! We are renting a rototiller! The field where we garden used to be occupied by alfalfa and I have a first hand experience of what nasty roots this plant leaves behind! No manual labor for me!

Danny had his first visit with Dr. Howell, who is our wonderful pediatric dentist. One night Andrew noticed that our little dude had a chip on his top tooth. We are still not sure under what circumstances the chomper got damaged, but figured we might as well take Danny to the dentist to make sure his tooth was fine. As it turned out the tooth WAS fine. Danny got his first X-ray and got to sit in THE chair. He was not sure what to think of it all until Dr. Howell began applying some fluoride on his 4 chompers. At that point Danny decided this was not cool and started screaming!

By the way, I am a fluoride-twice-a-year advocate. A few of Erin's friends already have cavities (seeing dentist for the first time at about 3-years-old), Pook on the other hand with her terrible tooth brushing habits sports a set of perfect pearly whites. She's been getting the treatment twice a year since she's been 16 months old. By the way Danny was diagnosed with a heavy frenum between his two top teeth. That explains the giant gap between them. But we'll take care of that when he is older. Of course dental insurance is making it all easy, without it...

This last weekend Danny was sick. This was his first ever nasty virus of some sort, well actually not of some sort. As it became obvious today it is roseola. Poor babe had a fever of 102-103F since Friday, then all of a sudden it was gone on Tuesday, but I noticed some rash and it spread today. Lesson I learned from it all is that Infant Ibuprofen trumps Acetaminophen. The latter would not lower his temperature for long or by much, Ibuprofen on the other hand lasted long and completely knocked it down. Now that the fever is gone he is a happy little dude as usual. Rash does not bother him, so life is good again.

This little guy melts my heart! While sick he kept putting his head on my shoulder, which he's never done before. So sweet...

On Monday we went to the wedding. Christine and Peter got married for time and all eternity.
The night I arrived at the Dyers 11 years ago, she was spying through the upstairs banister to see exactly what the cat dragged in. In her imagination I had darker skin (she obviously knew nothing about Slavs, ha ha)and she was concerned that I might have an unpleasant personality. To her relief I turned out to be OK, even though I had greenish skin tint ( I blame it on the sack lunch on my last Delta flight and too much flying- Vilnius-Frankfurt-LA- Salt Lake, night in Germany and over 20 hours in flight). I arrived in August and by Halloween we discovered to be kindred spirits after all or to put it in the words of Anne of Green Gables - "bosom friends". We talked, we laughed, had countless marathons of "Pride and Prejudice"and "Anne of Green Gables" (of course), walked to get some ice cream, built snowmen, goofed around and had wonderful time. So on Monday my Beanie married a wonderful guy! So happy for them!

Pooky got to be one of the flower girls and she loved it (I'll post photos later). I instructed her to say "Congratulations!" when Peter and Christine were coming out of the Temple. Instead she yelled "Ni Hao!" Where did that come from? She made a second attempt at the reception and it went better, though she almost knocked both the groom and bride off their feet. Erin looooves Peter, she just hangs on him every time she sees him. So after her congratulations line she gave Peter a bear hug and hung on his neck. She did the same to Christine, who made a mistake of getting to Erin's eye level. Our child assumed this was an opportune moment of lunging at her favorite Christine and trying to climb onto her back for a piggyback ride or something of the sorts. After that I dragged her away. Oh, while posing for a photo with the bride, Erin began twisting a bead from her wedding gown (those hands just can't be still). Everyone around began yelling "Erin, stop!", but my child kept twisting. I do not think she was even realizing that her hands were doing something, she was concentrating so hard at staring into the camera. The bead was saved!

Danny was not feeling well and refused to smile, period. So he looks rather grumpy in all photos, but he got to wear his suit for the first time. It was a tad big, but he looked very handsome.

Other than that this May has been rainy, cold and we've been watching a lot of shows and played a lot of PBS games on line. Danny turned 10 months and Erin is almost four. Sometimes I want to pinch myself, because it seems impossible that I am a mom of two children, one of whom is not far from starting school.

We are still working on potty training. Today after Erin needed a replacement for her third pair of pants in one day I expressed to her my frustration with her going through the entire collection of pants and shorts in three days. To that my Erin replied: "Don't give up mommy!" That of course was said with a mischievous twinkle in her eyes. Oh, how can you be getting upset at this child!

Danny is fully mobile, crawling everywhere, getting his cute button nose in everything, pulling up on furniture and walking along it. He talks non stop and wants me to constantly hold him. I finally installed a gate (a nifty one with a door) at the top of the stairs, so at least I do not need to worry that he is heading downstairs while I am folding laundry. Now I only need to remember shut bathroom doors. The little guy is fascinated with toilets. I have caught him sticking his hands in the one downstairs last week. Ewww!

Apparently I have been awful at taking photos this months, but here is one I took. Here Danny is sporting a tutu and seems rather pleased about it.
Ta ta for now!

1 comment:

BurkeAndEmily said...

Danny might not have felt well at the wedding, but at least he was awake in the pictures! I'm so glad his fever is gone and it wasn't very serious. We were sad to have to keep our distance during the reception.

Love the tutu picture.