Thursday, February 4, 2010

We had an adventure today! Erin and I walked to Macey's on this fine morning. We made our usual stop on the little bridge across a stream where she watched me spit in the water. It takes practice, because I can't stick my head much past the tall railing and if the wind is in my face than I don't even try (you can tell that there is not much to do in our neck of the woods this time of year). Hence while I was polluting the water source Erin, holding her piggy bank, released her grip and lost her pal to the raging water below. For a moment she tried to process why her piggy was not in her hands anymore. I on the other hand was yelling ('cause what else was I supposed to do)"Ahhhh!" There went our plastic piggy bank ($7.50 after 20% off) personalized with Erin's name on the side. Erin loves her piggy! She sleeps and plays with it, though she does not keep her money in it (but that's all right, it's not like she has any). As any kind and devout mother would do, I rushed to chase Erin's plastic pal downstream telling Erin not to get close to the water. Fortunately for me the pig got stuck in the reeds and Erin followed my request. I just hoped not to follow the pig and my spit into the cold water. Somehow I fished the poor creator out and a happy reunion took place. The pig was saved, I did not get soaked and Erin did not drop it again.

The rest of the trip was quite pleasant. Erin held my hand, did not get in any mud, stayed away from traffic, got a balloon at Macey's and ate a complementary cookie from their bakery. We sang songs on the way, explored and admired a lovely and almost springish weather and found some spiffy deals on what we needed.

So the IRS...Does anyone have anything good to say about them? I don't, but that's mostly because I did our taxes today. So remember the Utah grant we got for buying new construction? Without it we would still be renting. A week ago we got a form informing us that it is a taxable grant. Utah Housing Commission who was giving those away asked the IRS whether those will be taxable or not. The answer finally came sometime last fall (half a year after they gave it to us) saying "Oh yes! Give us ze moneys!". Basically of $6000 they want about $1500 in taxes. Just shoot me now! Wouldn't it just be easier to give out only $4500 and save us the trouble, but NO. All of a sudden out of a blue they stick us with a bill. I got mad and went to the pantry and ate what was staring at me. I normally don't quench my anger with food, but I was so mad (and probably hungry). So this is the first year when we owe taxes. I am so used to being a poor student and getting every penny of it back, but I guess no more of that. There go my garage shelves, a new couch and fixing the front passenger door that I planed on funding with the tax return. Oh, well!

K, what a bizarre post. Here are some photos to smooth all the weirdness.


She likes headphones



Erin rolls in her tent around the room, that's why it's so crooked


Just making some noise

1 comment:

BurkeAndEmily said...

Love the photos, sorry about the taxes, hurray for brave mamas who save piggy banks!

Amidst all of Evelyn's hospitalizations last year Burke got some letters about his 401k from a previous job. Apparently he needed to call in and have some stuff done or they would hit us with HUGE taxes. Well he didn't even read the mail until it was too late. We just got the tax stuff - OUCH!

Extra bonus points to you though for having your taxes done already.